Helping a Friend Who Slipped Up While Quitting
Relapses happen. Don’t sweat it. If it has happened to a friend or family member, don’t be hard on them. Quitting tobacco is hard. For many people, it requires several attempts.
Here are some tips:
- Stay positive. Don’t judge.
- Help them look at the slip-up as a learning experience.
- Position what they’re doing as “learning how to quit” instead of “failing.”
- If you know why they slipped, is there anything you can do to help them out the next time around?
- Did your friends try to quit on their own? Having a plan and getting support can make it easier to quit tobacco. Encourage them to try different options, and let them know Tobacco Free Florida has free tools and services that can help.